Systems Engineer – Level 1
The Level 1 Systems Engineer reports to the Engineering Services Team Leader. The primary functions of the Level 1 Systems Engineer include:
- Contributing to the proficient operation of Client Business and the Operations Group by assisting, liaising and reporting to Engineering Services Team Leader :
- Support the Operations Management group Business Plan with emphasis on the Systems Engineering objectives and responsibilities;
- Adhere to company-wide policy and professional standards;
- Utilise company-wide and Engineering Services internal systems for services delivery;
- Escalate issues affecting the company, the group and team (e.g. resourcing, HR, customer, etc.) where appropriate;
- Alert the Business Development Group to opportunities for new business.
- Achieving the Engineering Services Team business goals:
- With guidance from senior systems engineers assist in the provision of all services offered by the Engineering Services team;
- Improve both STREAMS product knowledge and use of delivery tools via mentoring from higher level professionals in the business;
- Under supervision from senior systems engineers assist with the maintenance of standards, processes and procedures for establishing systems requirements and systems designs;
- Under supervision from senior systems engineers assist with the maintenance of standards, processes and procedures for project and professional engineering service delivery;
- Contribute to Engineering Services team human resource management:
- Respectfully and co-operatively work with fellow staff members;
- Participate in the team member performance and pay reviews;
- Acquire new knowledge and skills through training attendance;
- Actively participate in continued professional development.
- Performing duties which support the day-to-day operations of the Engineering Services Team:
- Assist with the delivery of projects:
- Assist with project team roles as directed by the Project Manager;
- Comply with systems engineering standards, processes, procedures and guidelines for services delivery.
- Assist with the development of tender/bid responses:
- Assist with bid team roles (including scoping, work/cost estimates and identification of technical risks) as directed by the Bid Manager.
- Assist with the management of Client and third-party products:
- Development and maintenance of Client’s ITS products under direction of the Engineering Change Control Board;
- Evaluation, integration and compatibility testing of third-party ITS products.
- As an Engineering Services team member:
- Be accountable to the Engineering Services Team Leader;
- Perform tasks assigned by senior Engineering Services team members;
- Be prepared to work at customer sites (locally, inter-state or internationally) from time-to-time;
- Attend company, group and team meetings;
- Correctly enter timesheet hours worked against appropriate project tasks.
Personal Attributes / Knowledge
- Good organisational skills with the ability to prioritise tasks effectively.
- Good interpersonal skills.
- Willingness to work in a flexible, team-oriented environment.
- Motivated, pro-active and self-managing.
- Excellent problem solving skills.
- Ability to learn quickly.
Qualifications / Experience
- Tertiary qualification in Engineering or Information Technology (or equivalent, proven experience);
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Experience with Microsoft Office, with particular emphasis on Word and Excel.
- Understanding and experience with electrical and electronics principles;
- Familiarity with Microsoft SharePoint 2010.
- Self-Assessment with Team Leader and Group Manager review (to be documented).